Monday, February 10, 2014

DIY Earring Holder

So I have a goal this year of doing homemade gifts for all of the kids this year.  Definitely good for the budget, plus maybe they will mean a little more to the kids...now to find the extra time...

My oldest daughter is turning 12 this year, and gets to get her ears pierced - she is SOOOOO excited, she's been talking about it for months.  So I thought I'd make her an earring holder (otherwise they will probably be lost within a week.

So I found a frame that we weren't using.  Yay free!  They are only $2 at Ikea, so if you had to go and buy one it wouldn't exactly break the bank.

Then I took a sharpie and decorated around the edges, just whatever designs were fun.

Then I went to Joann's and got some plastic crossstitch canvas.  It was less than $1. I was thinking I'd need to decorate it some way, but they had it in colors, so that made it easy! Cute huh?





I decided I wanted some cloth flowers on it, so I gathered up some small strips of cloth 2"x15" for the small flowers, and 2"x18" for the bigger flower.

These were really easy to make.

1. You fold it in half lengthwise, and then again, making sure the raw edges are a little shorter so they don't show up when you're rolling the flower up.  I ironed it so that it would stay.

2. Then you start at one end and roll to make a little bud.  Use a little glue all along the way so that it stays.  I couldn't find any kind of glue besides super glue (you'd think I would have glue in the house with all my kids), but the super glue worked great, especially gluing the flowers to the frame.  I just have to figure out how to use that stuff without getting it all over my fingers!

3. After you have a nice sized bud, you fold the strip out  over and over as you roll, to create the apperance of petals, all the time gluing along the way.

4. glue the flowers to the frame, and you're done, cute, right?

One present down - a whole heap to go! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment